Study plan for go/baduk

Go is starting to grow on me, there's a bit of a mystical element to it and I'm always fascinated by the skilled players being able to live in the smallest spaces and kill me everywhere. The community is full of interesting people too! I think by improving a little I'll be able to appreciate the game better. I prefer studying from books since I can progress at my own pace. With that in mind, I plan to study the following:

Reading
Elementary Go Series: Tesuji (2)
Get Strong at Tesuji (6)
1001 Life and Death Problems

Opening
Opening theory made easy (3)
501 Opening problems

Endgame
Get strong at Endgame (8)

Big picture
Learn to play go Volumes 1 through 5 (1)
Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go (4)
Fundamental Principles of Go (5)
Attack and Defense (7)

Tentatively I plan to study one book at a time (1 hour a day) in the order they are labeled while working through the 1001 Life and Death problems (10 problems a day). I also noticed that I have picked up several bad habits from playing too quickly so I'll be reducing the number of games I play to increase their quality, right now I like the idea of playing every other day to carefully review each game the day after I play it using Go Review Partner to identify the biggest mistakes.

Right now I'm only playing on KGS under the nickname Heap, my ranking has stabilized at 9k and I aspire to reach 1d in three months. I've already been told by several people that this is almost impossible, but I'd wager most people just play for fun and don't study much. Either way I just want to see how much I can improve in that time, 1d is just a benchmark.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homepage

Study plan for Competitive Programming